“In older media, when there were rules forbidding overt displays of homosexuality, writers who wanted to create gay characters would often resort to homosexual subtext.”—TV tropes
When I attended the Husbands panel at New…
Let me reblog this again, and point out that writers openly queer bait, where queer baiting means indicating that this pair is a couple by code BECAUSE this is the ONLY way they can, by:
Having the characters share clothing
- "Enjoy my shirt…"
Giving the characters a colour scheme
- the swan mills family colours
Having them walk in on each other in their underwear
- Emma opens the door in her underwear to receive a fucking apple from Regina in Season 1. Incidentally, in ancient Greece…
Throwing an apple was the symbolic way of declaring love, and catching an apple the symbolic way of accepting love.
Having them (subtly) check each other out with their eyes
- there too many.examples of this to count, but here is an example. These bitches are about as subtle as a boot to the head.
- the fucking super Rom com zoom during witch hunt
Last, but not least, invading each other’s personal space
- Where do i even begin? Once again, I’ll let Lily Sparks do the talking.
Then let’s not forget the ads for marriage equality OUAT so kindly produced in Season 3A.
Oh and let’s not forget
If you read the original article carefully, JANE ESPENSON, who writes for Once Upon A Time basically said that this is what writers do when they want you to know that you are watching a super gay ass couple, but the studio execs lack balls and will not allow it.
So Jane was like “Yeah, it is queer baiting. All writers do it. We know we do it. The actors know we do it. The studios know we do it. Now you know we do it, and guess what…”
In conclusion, the writers want you, the watcher, to know that Emma and Regina are super gay for each other.
Anything else is the beards, misdirection, and character development that happen on the way to…